Matthew 6:6-7, The Passion Translation
Whenever you pray, go into your innermost chamber and be alone with Father God, praying to Him in secret...When you pray, there is no need to repeat empty phrases, praying like those who don't know God, for they expect God to hear them because of their many words.
Take this time to pray and journal through some of these questions.
- How do I pray? For example, what kind of tone or attitude do I adopt? Do I put on a performance for God?
- What does it look like to pray like someone who doesn't know God?
- What does it look like to pray as someone who does know God? As a child of God?
- Do I pray like someone who doesn't know God?
- What kind of tone do I take with God?
- How often do I expect God to hear me because of my performance, forgetting that God hears me because I'm His child, His beloved one?